On May 28 we held a seminar to share our knowledge and real-life experience with students from the Enzo Ferrari Engineering Faculty of the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia. Entitled “Virtual Design of Systems and Components in Off-Highway Applications”, the seminar proved to be an important point of contact between today’s experts and tomorrow’s innovators.
Undergraduates were attending the following degree courses:
- Oleodynamics in the Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering – general curriculum
- Hydraulic Systems in the Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering – Industry 4.0 curriculum
Our key speakers addressing the undergraduates were:
- Andrea Lucchi, in charge of Virtual Engineering Services & Systems for our Fluid Power division
- Luca Riccò, Virtual Validation & Integration Sr. Engineer
- Francesco Canestri, Virtual Validation & Integration Engineer
The 90-minute seminar covered several technical topics, but also aimed at enlightening participants on what it is like to be part of a large engineering company, preparing them for “life after University”. On the technical side, we discussed the use of simulation technologies and how we build digital twins of our componentry to virtually replicate the behavior of the systems we develop. We also looked at experimental validation activities and how these were applied to steering systems for off-highway vehicles. Further aspects were discussed regarding closed and open circuit transmissions, examining the characteristics of pumps and motors in both cases.
The seminar was a huge success and enabled engineering undergraduates to gain insight into what awaits them in several sectors thanks to our three key speakers.